Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The sparkle that shines

Got me some fine new glasses today, and I may not eat till next payday, but the world has been washed clean. And I have to say there are some fine looking people in it. Spent all day answering emails that banked up like leaves over rip van winkle while I was away. People seem to get irate that you don't answer their emails in twenty seconds flat these days. All the modern things seem to have had the unintended consequence of increasing our capacity for impatience!

I am alas an exemplar of this trend, as probably is every single citizen of this town, today I coulda gone ballistic at the library, but of course like most of nationality am too polite to even write a complaint.

So I had some books overdue. I wanted to return them and pay off the fine. Like a good citizen. And so I could then get out some more books. But you cannot do the two actions simultaneously. You must first return said books, and then wait for them to be processed. The next day the fine will come up on you record and then you can pay. I would have thought that having to pay a fine, and indeed I was quite willing to do, would be the punishment, but no, here in Absurdistan, where the bus to work takes exactly the same amount of time as walking there, what would not be right.

Oh well, I'll put me new specs on, not wait for a bus and walk out into the night to look at the newly beautified people. If only they knew how appreciative I have become they would have paid for the glasses for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home