Thursday, June 10, 2004

neat and tidy

I'd like to say not much to report, but that is not entirely new. What I mean is there is not much good to report. I am still a lazy slack-arse who watches too much television, while reading a book and listening to music. All these activities at once distract me from the chaos that is the front room, or parlour as it is known to you posh gits out there.
Alas, alack and lackaday, as Chet Baker happens to have just sung, I am really going to have to get onto the mess tonight. My sister visits tomorrow and that means that at some point over the weekend I will be receiving a covert tidy test, with white gloves tracing the molding and all no doubt.

She is so clean and neat that when we were kids she used to offer to tidy my room. Oh that's great I have now realized that I can now blame her for my penchant for piles and stacks of things rather than putting them away, i.e. actual tidying, rather than a nod, a tip of the hat in the general direction of tidiness. I failed to acquire it when young. Or perhaps it is a gene thing? Most things seem to be nowadays. Soon parents to be will be able to order a tidy child... 'we want male blond 140 IQ and who won't hide hlaf-eaten teaspoons of peanut butter behind the curtains in the lounge'.

Actually I am not as bad as I make out. I really like this house, so I keep it nicely. I am learning weeding. I planted bulbs and even caught myself contemplating cleaning the windows. Outside.

The trouble is I also have a lot of work to do before she arrives. I need to finish two applications for work. I am in formfiller's hell. I hate forms, the more educated I get, the less able to fill in a form. It is weird. I have a PhD but I miss a box here , a place to sign there, always forget to date them.

Well enough of this, I am going to sweep the kitchen, give mouth to mouth resuscitation to the bathroom cyclamen(note to self begin research on why Cyclamen and African Violets are the preferred cultivars of the bathroom?, stack the dishwasher, unstack the dishwasher, stack the dishwasher, you get the picture. Anything I can't clean, I shall throw away or hide.... Maybe it is a gene thing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home