Sunday, May 16, 2004

the art of minglology

I really have to learn how to mingle. Minglology experts please advise!
I know, I know there are books entitled 'what to say after saying hello' and how to win friends and influence people' but I think what I need is a little tip in how to choose the person your are going to say hello to, win the friendship thereof and/or influence them, because the actual small talk I'm okay at most of the time, though skills may have rusted in the social drought I have been experiencing.

Anyway this art do last night was kinda odd. The only people apart from one of the artists, a friend of mine anyway, I even recognised were these artkids up from Wellington. They drink at the bars I used to drink at before I was dragged up here to the Manawatu, and one of them, a woman I have seen around for a hundred years and I will probably wake up in the middle of the night one of these days and say her name out loud and then think who the hell is that... said hello. But I don't think I have ever talked to her in Wellington apart from making her a flat white now and then. So it would have felt odd to talk to her here since I never talked to her there, and it would have just been a list of who do you know kind of questions.

Needless to say I really only talked to the artist and the colleagues from work who turned up. Which is okay I guess but these are the only people I ever talk to. So minglologists out there please help.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home