Saturday, July 30, 2005

I think I just saw an unidentified flying oject. Well I saw a flying object that I couldn't identify, anyway. It looked like a white tube with black ends and looked maybe 10m long. It floated rather than flew because it didn't necessarily point in the direction it was heading, more like drifted I guess. So maybe we are being invaded by whimsical wherever the cosmic winds will blow us kind of aliens. I personally think that if aliens do visit Earth its probably either just holidays or teenagers playing an inter-dimensional form of chicken.
I have also been watching this documentary about haunted places in this country, where they rig up volunteers who then wander around haunted houses in the middle of the night. I kind of like it because it appeals to my two inner geeks, held in by my outer geek of course. That is, my superstitious side which kind of secretly believes in all that stuff, and wonders if my dead relatives are watching all the time - a little bit perverse don't you think, and the scientific evidence side. Note, I am not entirely convinced by the science, but there is enough wires, gadgetry and infra-red carryings on that it looks impressive. Anyway last week's episode saw the foolish explorers wander about two haunted houses on the same street in A. The guy intrepid explorer went into a room where 3 little kids died within 9 days of Scarlet Fever ... the very disease that blinded Mary in little house on the prairie ... for all you kid lit fans. Something knocks him over in this room. He was on his knees before it happened but then suddenly he was on the ground. Being the intrepid type, he says is there anyone there and would they like to talk to him.

At dawn he gets out of the house and goes to the techy expert guy's van who plays him some kind of recording made in the room while he was there. Apparently just as he says would they like to talk to him, you can hear a little girl's voice sat 'go away'. It was pretty spooky.

Not much else has been going on. My seminar went well. One of the philosphers didn't like my argument, which is fine, because, I thought, a lunchtime seminar has an entirely different important research to entertainment factor ratio. And besides as a philosopher, what we would he know about the implications of context on meaning?

Should be working, got a paper due in 15 days and you could guess how much I have written ... hmm. Ah well and procrastinate through some other method ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home