Monday, May 09, 2005

is the universe trying to tell me something or just my computer

So I spent the weekend marking the assignments ... and cleaning ... eventually. I also lovingly prepared special guest star lecture with slide show and everything. I finished late Sunday night and celebrated by watching a celebrity ball room dancing reality show (naturally), which of course starred our Georgina, the world's first (apparently, there might have been some who who passed) transexual mayor of small rural town who went on to become a member of parliament... having a small country self consciousness, we spend a lot of time working out world firsts to claim, or tricky ways of claiming world firsters from other countries as actual new zealanders .... russell crowe for example.... who tried to camouflage poor dancing skills, (well poor for someone who 'did cabaret' which I am sure is a euphemism for a more complex way of making money) ... only to discover that my computer at home which has become jealous, it knows I am seeing another computers at work... tricked me into beliving that it had transferred my presentation onto a disk when it had only transfered some summary page that it generated myself. The timing of this discovery? Oh 1 hr 20 mins before estimated time of delivery. So being the closet superhero that I am, I borrow a colleague's pushbike... that's right saving the planet and my ass all at the same time... cycle furiously (for a reasonably heavy smoker) oh no I just outed myself as a smoker .... make it back to the house in record time only to fall off the bike due to failure to release foot form pedal cage thingies, scrape hand... blood and everything and get bike grease over favourite pants previously thought of as lucky pants. Curse loudly in front of elderly non-plussed neighbour. Get inside curse computer, tell it it's over between us and transfer files properly.

Cycle back to uni (without falling) with plenty of time to spare... except then give the presentation in angry flustered way.... Lecture not in English, so anger probably masked, but not flusteredness.

Then look after visiting scholar for an hour or two before she gives her very entertaining super special guest lecture, then look after her again for a couple of hours, at the beginning of which she looks at me blankly and asks me what department I work in... um hello are you mental?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home