Saturday, May 07, 2005

what I've really enjoyed about this weekend so far

Okay so I am back into the (down) swing of things despite feeling surprisingly homesick for my village.... got up this morning thinking today I shall be virtuous I shall clean the house... I shall mark a thousand essays .... my mind and pencil shall never tire. I will think of important points to scribble in the margin and they will be legible and instructive. I shall think of three things I really liked about each student's effort. I shall diligently note for oh about 85% of them the difference between references and bibliographies ... then I actually got out of bed to discover that the electricity had evaporated or disappated or whatever the hell electricity does. I immediately justified a postponement of cleaning. I mean who could possibly clean without electricity I ask you. I have polished wooden floor boards (get me!) so no need to vacuum... the hot water is gas so I could have mopped, done dishes all that stuff, never mind the volume of simple repatriation of objects to their rightful places that could have taken a good hour or so of the morning.... but without music, this is not possible at all. No, I cancelled the lot, and went out in search of good coffee; a hit and miss affair in this town. Went to get a DVD to watch. I have given up making on the spot decisions vis a vis dvds videos and the like since the time taken to shuffle through the shelves is roughly equivalent to the time it takes to watch final choice... So the one preplanned vid of course is unavailable... I almost choose Roustabout for a high old time of Elvis schlock but since this was not preplanned I felt a little uncomfortable.... ditto at the library when the new J. Marias was out but did manage to come away with some random titles or other.

Returned home to discover electricity had been restored, but since cleaning had been cancelled have failed to sweep mop launder even though this can all happen with appropriate soundtrack (Herbert at the moment). Picked up a few essays to mark to discover the top of the pile was a charming tale of misadventures in postgraduate research. To be fair this is most of these students' first go at postgrad fun and games or my particular subject matter but honestly what do you do with this....
I read somewhere a really great quote about the role of xx in the xxxx but
I can't find it again to give you the exact wording but they said something
along the lines of yyyyy....

I kid you not.

1 Comments:

Blogger BigBubba said...

Using Elvis as a yard stick we are all lazy bums. Elvis averages about 40 million dollars a year despite being dead. Ya gotta love the capitalist system.

Don't be a lazy bum. Get up, work hard and you too can come with-in $39,950,000 of matching the King's income.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home