Tuesday, October 26, 2004

two forms of torture

So I spent my weekend searching in vain for that file. I did not find it. Instead I read a book about serious music in the twentieth century. Minimalism is returning to a neo-romanticism that was at its root all along... Apparently... Did you know? The book was supposed to be accompanied by four cds which I thought would be rather charming like those books we used to get with the record when we were kids, and Tinkerbell would tinkle to tell you the turn page. My favourite was the gingerbread man, but now of course I think of his wife waiting at home on the cookie tray like a homebaked Penelope.. I digress. The cds were missing and so it was another form of torture as I was particular desperate to hear the works of Crawford a mid twentieth century composer who was an uncompromising something now serialist maybe? oh I forget. She sounds like a pretty tough coustomer. She won some big scholarship to go study in Europe and she took the money and went to Vienna or somewhere and then refused to sign up for classes because she said now that she finally had the time and money to devote herself to composition so why the hell would she waste it going to yet mroe classes... and I also wanted to hear from a second half of the century Polish guy L something with another l with a bar through like Lodz, which I believe is pronounced something like Wodge. His scores were beautiful to look at and would like nice on a wall and he had as far as I could tell some interesting ideas about time. Then I go to looking at the listings for the missing Cd and the Pole got a look-in but Crawford did not despite the fact the book bemoaned how overlooked she was...

Got to work this morning and found the goddamn file was where I had put it all along anyways.
So there are two forms of torture for you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home