Friday, October 22, 2004

some Jewish guy + some catholic school girl in trouble = me

Because I have so much to do to get ready for fieldwork I find it is even more important to think up procrastination devices. To that end I have written a letter to my father well to my are-you-my-father in Australia. I tried to contact my birth mother some time ago, and she was so evasive it was ridiculous. When I asked if I was speaking to JF she said no, even though I had just heard the operator say 'This is a call for JF'... then she said I don't know anyone of that name and nor does anyone in my family... Hmm I know the names of every single person that every single member of my family has ever met... You can test me...
So I gave up for a while and then I tracked down this guy who she married less than 18 months after I was born. I knew through family discussion that my birth father was Jewish ... And my bm is catholic... Probably contributed to something to the issue of adoption, I'm guessing there... And this guy she married has pretty Jewish name as does his father according to their marriage certificate. Now the Jewish population in these parts is incredibly small, so if he is not my actual dad she must have gone out of her way o find another nice Jewish boy and get him to fall in love with her... So I think the story goes something like this. They get together. She gets pregnant. Hey or she freak out. One other or both split and I am born far away form prying eyes in hideous small town. Then when things calm down a realization hits them that mutually they are the one... Hear violins, and they decide to get married. One other or both keep guilty secret that their firstborn could have been part of this family all along but they freaked out to soon...

So I wrote a letter to this guy who I think is my father. They appear to have been divorced for some time now and live in different parts of Australia. I've written before but never posted it. The dilemma it seems to me is that she made it pretty clear that she wants nothing to do with me. And I respect that whatever, her reasons are. I assume that when you put up a child for adoption back then, you didn't expect your details to ever be disclosed. But am I interfering with her rights by contacting someone else about the whole matter. Her right to privacy might be more important than any of my rights. After all I wasn't asked to sign anything. If this guy doesn't know, I will reveal something that somebody clearly didn't want to know. Maybe he has a right if he is the father. Bit if he is not, how can this be anything but an invasion of her privacy.

Hmm. I am going away in three weeks and I should do something before then....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home