Monday, October 18, 2004

school's out sort of

Classes have finished for the semester. Last classes so bittersweet.. hmmm well actually this time they were. FM is always that way as we say goodbye and thank you to the consultant. This year particularly so since the students weren't so crash hot at the technical stuff but they really warmed to T, the consultant, and they performed the dance she had taught us pretty well, especially the Japanese student. My other class made up of most of the same as FM got the last class party buzz and bought me presents and food.... I have just read their final assignments and now feel somewhat stink that I have to give them low marks. They could have their presents back except for the fair trade coffee I'm afraid I have already absorbed that.

So just exams and marking to go and then I'm out of here. Back into the field. My new American colleague is not quite as fully amped as us as apparently in American schools you leave not to be seen again until the following academic year. Sounds good, no wonder tenure is hard to get. We still have to front 4 days out of 5 over the summer... but not me. Six months of sunshine, hurricanes and horrible food. Fieldwork, here I come... Actually should start the mental if not actual preparation for it.

On a sadder note, my non-colleague friendship (in this town) tally dropped back to zero. Performed at S and J's going away cabaret. God me on stage... my slide show was pretty cool and they seemed to laugh at my version okay adaptations of the Dan Rhodes' monologues... J's little piece based on a story Caroline's daughter the excellent Dusty told her was amazing. It was cool to see her on screen too...

So back to work for a while, I might force myself to watch the ever smug Nicole Kidman on the telly....

Shh don't tell anyone I mark and watch movies at the same time....

1 Comments:

Blogger bitchphd said...

Doesn't everyone mark and watch movies at the same time?

And OMG you're done for the semester. I am so envious. What I wouldn't give for a clear weekend, even...

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home