Tuesday, September 07, 2004

in which ludo runs away from work and his phone remains unfixed

Okay so I bolted, but I disguised it well as a visit to the library at the other campus. A cloudless day in Palmengrad so I had to, and I had worked bloody hard all weekend on the nightmare conference. I got an email form a delegate who I ballsed up his presentation for him and he wants to have lunch. Umm am I going to get a telling off? I also forgot that he was a psychologist. I mentioned that linguists can't do small talk,and he countered with business studies can' t run businesses, so then I say, what about psychologists? And he says there marriages fall apart. Then I introduce him at the panel and say the imminent psychologist KT and then it hits me... Duh.

Oh well. So I ran away. I was supposed to be getting my phone fixed. So I rang from work to get them to fix it and they say its already fixed. And I say its not working, then they say yes it is we fixed it on the 31st and I say no that is the day that you came one day before you said you would and couldn't get in so didn't fix it. No she said. We fixed it. I can check for you I am going to hang. She hangs up. She rings back and says you are not at home are you? I say no. You are at work aren't you? She says. Yes I say. That, she says, is why you didn't pick up when I rang your new number. Yes I say, and also because it is broken. Well, she says I can't tell if it is broken or not. Can you go home and check whether it is fixed, and if not ring me back and we will fix it.

I stayed very calm during this whole exchange. In fact I even offered evidence to suggest she may be right. I don't have any friends here to ring me I say. She laughs. This is no joking matter. This is the truth.

Also gas water heater is broken, so you have to pray and curse, okay so actually mainly cursing and pleading for it to actually work. Technology seems to have abandoned me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home