Thursday, August 12, 2004

the philospoher's haircut

Back in wgton, and you can tell, the wind is so strong it blew the breath out of my mouth. I am feeling in love with the world, and the wind has blown humanity with its curiously sweet faces (for today only) my way. I am in the middle of an online tutorial for which only 1 person has turned up so I have this window open as well.
i saw a philospher that i used to see all around the place crossing the road from the best book shop in this town. He is an odd mixture of social and surly, probably the requisite mixture for his profession. I wonder if it is just my in love with the world mood that makes me think that perhaps his haircut has changed his worldview....

Back again, the tutorial ended after an hour. The client's only post was 'yes I am still here' and thanks very much that was useful.

Gave a lecture here and the students clapped. I have got to get out of Palmengrad, not just for the job thing, but life in general. I feel like an alien up there, adn I certainly cop a lot of homophobic abuse (and an apple!) while walking on the streets. I have no socialife, the biggest no-mates you could meet. It certainly has eroded my self confedence, not to mention my social skills. People down here have personality, particularly hospitality staff. I went to Olive today and lent the waitress my glasses so she could explain the menu. I also saw Rachel M and her baby (looks like her, which must be gratifying if you are the leave a kid for posterity ty pe, which I don't think that she is, but she was pleased that I mentioned it. After that though we had nothing to say... too long in between times I guess. that means, that my friends here consider a Palmengradek .... I can't remember the Russian citizen of suffix is it -itch? Maskovitch Palmengraditch... which means horror I am a visitor to the city. A visitor from the provinces... But my identity is still bery much that of a city kid.... I feel like I am on some exchange program to some remote village adn my parents have sent word that they don't want me back.... Is his culture shock?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home