Saturday, April 29, 2006

and now that you're back

So back from the islands and I'm freezing ...
Here's what happened.
I got bit by a dog. It tore my jeans and there was blood. I had to hold my pants on.
I got to the village.
Somebody stole my shoes ... and I left my glasses there. I received my first livestock gift. Africa, the chicken. Got invited to be circumcised and become a real man ?!?
On the way back from the airport here in the grad. I asked the old fella driver about one or two of the buildings we passed. There is this beautiful old art deco factory called libertyland which apparently and possibly paradoxically made women's undergarments in the recent yesteryears. They moved if from G___ St, back in the day. Speaking of G____ St, I asked him about the buildings htat were turned into the polytechnic. He told me they were the old technical insitute which was where working class kids were sent. POsh kids went to the high school. He went there, but it turns out that his brother didn't. He further reveals that his brother turns out to be a reat humanitarian and founder of a program that delivers free optical care to the people of developing nations, a truly great man.

I also forgot to mention that I got wicked cold in the tropics (Again with the !?!?). Flying home .... air pressure meets snot and renders me deaf. Ont he flight back to the 'grad. I couldn't hear a thing adn consequently pissed of an air hostess who was trying to tell me something about something. After that I had to pretend I was deaf for the rest of the flight cos she kept trying to make her words more lipreadable. By that stage hearing came back in one ear, but I didn't reallyh know how to break the news to her as she was doing a great job. So when we land and we all file off and she stands at the door, I pull my hand to my chin, and then move it towards her, the NZSL sign for 'thank you' and try and make my mouthed response as lipreadable as hers were ....

1 Comments:

Blogger Monkey's Max said...

Ludo, you crack me up. It seems that nothing at all has changed over the years.

I was recently telling someone the story of us getting pulled off the night bus in Usti and taken to the police station together with everyone else on the bus.

What weird lives we lead.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home