Tuesday, April 11, 2006

drums in the suburbs

I wrote this last night ....
I'm listening to Muum, and want to be sitting in the dark while doing it but I am writing this. I'm in capitalville, the islands, so its a strange place to listen to the soft Icelandic stylings of a band obsessed with swimming pools.

Outside, some distance away is the amplified voic of a fire and brimstone preacher. Hoarse and clearly cranky, the creole makes it all sound like voodoo.

I gotten bitten by a dog today, It shredded my jeans, and I will have to buy a belt tomorrow as I have discovered my shorts are too loose. I have been a bit paranoid about tetanus ever since the incident involving the dog ... psychosomatic sore throats.
Modernity has reached the islands and it has taken the form of coffee loyalty cards....

I also managed to watch the first half hour of Alien versus Predator?!? i.e. to the point where most of the humans had been gored and made surprisingly mucus-y, leaving the feisty ice expert woman and the charming professor who seems to have no problem reading Mayan and Egyptian glyphs.... I was startled to realise that the premise had been borrowed wholesale from a book I have just been reading ... I end up reading the strangest things here ... that both Egyptian and early Central American cultures where profoundly influenced by a lost civilisation possibly in Antarctica ... So it was nice to see a little debate about diffusionism though in a somewhat odd context ....

Tomorrow to the village, where, speaking of Antarctica, I will show them the dvd of march of the penguins ... they will find it hard to believe that such icy places and animals exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home